What are my rights under Title IX?
The following list of rights, which are based on the relevant provisions of the federal regulations implementing Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. Sec. 1681 et seq.), may be used by the department for purposes of Section 221.6.
- You have the right to fair and equitable treatment and you shall not be discriminated against based on your sex.
- You have the right to be provided with an equitable opportunity to participate in all academic extracurricular activities, including athletics.
- You have the right to inquire of the athletic director of your school or appropriate District personnel as to the athletic opportunities offered by the school.
- You have the right to apply for athletic scholarships.
- You have the right to receive equitable treatment and benefits in the provision of all of the following:
- Equipment and supplies;
- Scheduling of games and practices;
- Transportation and daily allowances;
- Access to tutoring;
- Locker rooms;
- Practice and competitive facilities;
- Medical and training facilities and services; and
- You have the right to have access to a sex/gender equity coordinator, referred to as the Title IX Coordinator, to answer questions regarding sex/gender equity laws.
- You have the right to contact the State Department of Education and the California Interscholastic Federation to access information on sex/gender equity laws.
- You have the right to file a confidential discrimination complaint with the United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the California Department of Education if you believe you have been discriminated against or if you believe you have received unequal treatment on the basis of your sex.
- You have the right to pursue civil remedies if you have been discriminated against.
- You have the right to be protected against retaliation if you file a discrimination complaint. (California Education Code § 221.8.)
Learn more about your rights under Title IX:
- Visit the website of the United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights at http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/index.html and the webpage on sex discrimination at http://www2.ed.gov/policy/rights/guid/ocr/sex.html.
- Review United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, Know Your Rights documents:
- Title IX prohibits sexual harassment and sexual violence: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/title-ix-rights-201104.html.
- Title IX prohibits discrimination against pregnant or parenting individuals: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/dcl-know-rights-201306-title-ix.pdf.
- Visit the website of the California Department of Education Office of Equal Opportunity at http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/eo/ and the webpage on Gender Equity/Title IX at http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/eo/genequitytitleix.asp.