2020-2021 Open Enrollment Continues through Jan. 31
2020-2021 Open Enrollment-School Choice Calendar Announced
Applications for 2019-2020 General Open Enrollment accepted January 9-31, 2020
While every child who lives within PUSD boundaries is assured placement in their neighborhood school, the Pasadena Unified School District's annual Open Enrollment-School Choice process offers families an opportunity to apply to a different school in the next academic year. Through PUSD’s Open Enrollment-School Choice, families can apply to themed, magnet, or specialized schools and programs outside the boundaries of their school of residence. Themed and magnet programs include Dual Language Immersion Programs in French, Mandarin or Spanish; Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM); International Baccalaureate; visual and performing arts; high school college and career academies, and more.
General Open Enrollment-School Choice
The general Open Enrollment-School Choice period for the 2020-2021 school year is January 9 - 31, 2020, with online applications accepted at www.pusd.us/Page/7799 for all families who live within district boundaries and PUSD employees.
To make it easier for more families to participate and guarantee that families will only improve their school assignment during each round:
- Families can select an unlimited number of schools on their preference list in the first round or lottery. Previously, the list had been limited to five schools;
- The same preference list is used in every round, ensuring that families move up their preference lists from one round to the next; and
- After the final round or lottery, families join the waiting list of every school they prefer, in case seats become available after the traditional open enrollment season ends. The list is active through August 7, 2020.
For more information, contact the Enrollment, Permits, & Student Records office at 626-396-3639 or visit pusd.us/enrollment.
Sibling and Priority Registration is part of the first phase of 2020-2021 Open Enrollment-School Choice and applies to:
- Students whose siblings will attend the same school of choice next fall;
- Students in Dual Language Immersion programs who will transition to sixth or ninth grade;
- Willard Elementary students who will enter Blair Middle School’s International Baccalaureate program; and
- Students in Magnet programs who are transitioning to sixth and ninth grade and wish to continue the same theme.
Registration for sibling and priority enrollment takes place at schools, not the District office. For more details, visit pusd.us/enrollment.
Franklin Elementary, Jefferson Elementary, Roosevelt Elementary & Wilson Middle School
For 2020-2021, students who now attend schools that will be consolidated next year (Franklin, Jefferson, and Roosevelt Elementary, and Wilson Middle School) will have priority placement at other PUSD schools through a special lottery of the District’s Open Enrollment-School Choice process. The special lottery was December 9, 2019 - January 3, 2020. Information on the process has been shared with families at these schools. For more information, contact the Enrollment, Permits, & Student Records office at 626-396-3639 or visit pusd.us/enrollment.
2020-2021 Open Enrollment Calendar
December 9, - January 3, 2020
Closed Schools Lottery
December 9, 2019 - January 10, 2020
Sibling & Priority Registration
Beginning Dec. 9, 2019
Requests to Relinquish Permits (return to school of residence) Submitted at District Office
January 9 - January 31, 2020
Online Applications Accepted, Including PUSD Employees
February 19, 2020
First Lottery Results Online and Mailed
February 25 - March 6, 2020
Registration for Students Selected in First Lottery
March 16 - 20, 2020
Online Applications Accepted for Second Lottery (New applicants only) & Non-PUSD Applications of Interest Accepted (In office; not online)
March 27, 2020
Second Lottery Results Online and Mailed
April 6 - 10, 2020
Registration for Students Selected in Second Lottery
April 20 - June 26, 2020
Interdistrict Permit Requests to Enter/Exit PUSD
June 1 - August 7, 2020
Requests to Relinquish Permits for lottery participants (return to school of residence) Submitted at District Office
June 1 - August 7, 2020
New-to-PUSD Intradistrict Requests Submitted at District Office