International Baccalaureate (IB)
Blair has two different International Baccalaureate programs, the Middle Years Programme and the Diploma Programme. As an IB school, our students learn to be critical thinkers with a global perspective.
Blair students often say they are "doing IB" as shorthand to mean pursuing the full International Baccalaureate Diploma. IB Diploma Programme classes are offered to 11th and 12th graders, but the Middle Years Programme is embedded in the curriculum for 6th through 10th grade, so all students grades 6-10 are "in IB."
The IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) is part of the curriculum for all students. We follow state standards for our curriculum, but add the IB focus on inquiry, action and reflection in instruction. Project based student inquiry lessons emphasize integrating learning across all subjects. IB is holistic in nature, and aims to engage students in their own education and learning process.
Our IB MYP students
- become internationally-minded
- explore human creativity and ingenuity
- learn through real world experience
- reflect on their learning
- develop empathy and community involvement
To accomplish this, our IB MYP students
- learn a world language, Spanish
- study the arts (visual art, voice, instrumental music) and technology
- perform community service
- participate in an annual class project
- undertake a long term personal project (10th grade Personal Project)
The IB Diploma Programme (IBDP) is a rigorous program for the junior and senior years at Blair, highly regarded by colleges and a rewarding experience for students. This is an optional course of study for students seeking a stimulating and academically challenging program, and students must have completed the prerequisite classes to enter the IB courses. The Diploma Programme is known around the world for emphasizing critical thinking, college level research and writing skills, and community engagement.
- study all six subject disciplines
- three subjects as Higher Level (two-year) IB courses
- three subjects as Standard (one-year) IB courses
- take the Theory of Knowledge class
- perform 150 hours of community service
- independently research and write a 4000 word Extended Essay
Students may choose to instead take individual IB courses and earn Certificates.
For more info. about the Middle Years Programme, contact Assistant Principal Ms. Brambila.
For more about the IB Diploma Programme, contact our DP Coordinator, Ms. Karen Law.