Return to Headlines
Valid Reasons for Excused Absences 2019-2020
Valid Reasons for Excused Absences
- Personal illness/injury: a doctor’s note after a student has accumulated ten (10) absences in the school year for If a student is out for illness for more than 3 days medical noted is needed.
- Quarantine: under the direction of a county or city health officer.
- Medical, Dental, Optometry or Chiropractic service appointments, Medical note needs to be provided to Attendance Office.
- Attending the funeral of an Immediate Family member ONLY: one (1) day if the funeral is conducted in California and three (3) days if the service is conducted outside of California (EC 45194). Documentation needed for School purposes to the Attendance Office.
- Section 48205 also excuses the absence of a pupil who is the custodial parent of a child who is ill or has a medical appointment during school
- Appearance in Documentation needed for School purposes to the Attendance Office.
- Religious instruction and exercises: student shall at least attend the minimum school day and shall be excused for this purpose no more than four (4) days per Semester. Documentation needed for School purposes to the Attendance Office.
- Observance of a holiday or ceremony of the student’s religion.
- Approved participation in school
- Exclusion from school to obtain required immunizations if the absence is no longer than 5
- PERSONAL, FAMILY EMERGENCY, CAR TROUBLE, GOING OUT OF TOWN, VACATION, VISITING A SICK RELATIVE, TAKING YOUR CHILD TO WORK DAY, DMV APPOINTMENTS, TRAFFIC,
- A STUDENT IS DEEMED TRUANT IF THEY HAVE THREE OR MORE UNEXCUSED ABSENCES AND /OR TARDIES (30 MINUTES OR MORE IN DURATION)