Welcome To Transitional Kindergarten
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program. TK provides an early childhood education program that builds a bridge between preschool years and traditional Kindergarten.
ELIGIBILITY: Transitional Kindergarten is designed for students who turn 5 years old between September 2 and December 2 and who may benefit from an enriched foundational early childhood education program to prepare them for success in traditional Kindergarten. Pursuant to law, EC 48000(c)
- Franklin Elementary
- Jefferson Elementary
- Longfellow Elementary
- Madison Elementary
- McKinley School
- Norma Coombs Elementary
- Willard Elementary
Transitional Kindergarten means the student will be in a Kindergarten program for two years. Students attend the assigned school for one year; after that, they go to Kindergarten at their school of residence or the family applies via Open Enrollment School Choice for another PUSD campus or program.
The Benefits of Transitional Kindergarten
- Children are better prepared to succeed.
- Families have an additional option to ensure their children enter kindergarten with the maturity, confidence and skills they need to excel.
- Schools benefit because children will be better prepared to succeed academically and less likely to be placed in special education or held back in later grades.
As a Parent, What Do I Need to Know?
- Transitional Kindergarten is taught by credentialed teachers from the K-12 system, which now includes Transitional Kindergarten.
- Transitional Kindergarten is part of the public school system and free for families.
- ENROLLMENT: To register for Transitional Kindergarten, go to your school of residence and let the office know that you would like to register for Transitional Kindergarten. To find your school of residence, use our School Locator. Visit Open Enrollment for more details.
“Our dedicated teachers and staff are committed to maintaining a safe, orderly, and caring learning environment for all students in all of our elementary schools. Our practices value diverse learning styles, provide rich experiences for all learners, and nurture high self-esteem and character development to make the transition to middle school seamless.”
Dr. Julianne Reynoso
Assistant Superintendent, Instructional Services PK-12
626-396-3600 ext. 88217