The Blair IB Experience
What does IB look like at Blair?
Blair has three different International Baccalaureate programs, the Middle Years Programme, the Diploma Programme and the Career-related Programme. As an IB school, our students learn to be critical thinkers with a global perspective. Our Blair community is guided by the characteristics of IB Learners: caring, risk-takers, balanced, reflective, inquirers, knowledgeable, thinkers, communicators, principled and open-minded.
All students in grades 6-10 at Blair are "in IB." The IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) is part of the curriculum for all students. We follow state standards for our curriculum, but add the IB focus on inquiry, action and reflection in instruction. Project based student inquiry lessons emphasize integrating learning across all subjects. IB is holistic in nature, and aims to engage students in their own education and learning process.
Our IB MYP students
- become internationally-minded
- explore human creativity and ingenuity
- learn through real world experience
- reflect on their learning
- develop empathy and community involvement
To accomplish this, our IB MYP students
- learn a world language, Spanish
- study the arts (visual art, voice, instrumental music) and technology
- perform community service
- participate in an annual class project
- undertake a long term personal project (10th grade Personal Project)
Blair students often say they are "doing IB" as shorthand for pursuing the full International Baccalaureate Diploma. The IB Diploma Programme (IBDP) is a rigorous program for the junior and senior years at Blair, highly regarded by colleges and a rewarding experience for students. This is an optional course of study for students seeking a stimulating and academically challenging program, and students must have completed the prerequisite classes to enter the IB courses.
- study all six subject areas
- three as higher level (two-year) IB courses
- three as standard (one-year) IB courses
- take a Theory of Knowledge class
- perform 150 hours of community service
- independently research and write a 4000 word Extended Essay
Students may choose to instead take individual IB courses and earn Certificates.
View a PowerPoint summary of the IB DP at Blair here.
For more information about the Middle Years Programme, contact Assistant Principal Ms. Brambila.
For more about the IB Diploma Programme, contact our DP Coordinator, Ms. Karen Law.
In 2017 Blair was also authorized to offer the IB Career-related Programme (IBCP), as part of our Health Careers Academy. The CP combines IB Diploma classes with career-related studies, including a hands-on internship type experience.