Dear Parents & Guardians:
The start of school has been very exciting! It has been great getting acclimated to my new role as principal and welcoming our new and returning students and families. It was wonderful to see so many students smiling as they arrived at the Kindergarten play date and the Back to School Meet and Greet. We are off to a great start this school year!
We are very excited to announce Hamilton is beginning a whole school transformation process to become a Leader in Me school. The Leader in Me process provides our school with the vision and language to lead in a way that addresses all areas of development. As each child discovers and develops his/her unique gifts and talents, they are given opportunities to lead.
As the school year progresses, you will see evidence of The Leader in Me everywhere you look in our school and in your child’s classroom. All students are learning about the 7 Habits in their classroom and through leadership opportunities.
Habit # 1 – Be proactive. “I am a responsible person. I take initiative. I choose my actions, attitudes, and moods. I do not blame others for my wrong actions. I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.”
Habit # 2 – Begin with the end in mind. “I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school’s mission and vision. I look for ways to be a good citizen.”
Habit # 3 – Put first things first. “I spend my time on things that are most important. This means I say no to things I know I should not do. I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am disciplined and organized.”
Habit # 4 – Think win-win. “I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want. When conflicts arise, I look for a win-win solution.”
Habit # 5 - Seek first to understand and then to be understood. “I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoint. I listen to others without interrupting; I listen with my ears, my eyes, and my heart. I am confident in voicing my ideas.”
Habit # 6 – Synergize. “I value other people’s strengths and learn from them. I get along well with others; even people who are different than me. I work well in groups. I seek out other people’s ideas because I know that by teaming with others, we can create better solutions than what any one of us could alone.”
Habit # 7 – Sharpen the Saw. “I eat right, exercise, and get enough sleep (body). I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school (brain). I spend time with family and friends (heart). I take time to find meaningful ways to help people (soul). I balance all four parts of myself.”
We are excited to announce our first Parent Coffee with the Principal on Friday, August 25 in the MPR. These informal meetings will be held in the morning once a month at 9:00and focus on student learning, leadership, and the 7 habits. I will share trends, celebrations and challenges, as well as important information about the 7 habits so you are better equipped to support your child’s learning.
Arrival and Dismissal Reminders:
- Starting Monday, August 14, 2017, all students need to be dropped off in the front drop off area the cafeteria, or the back playground. Staff will make sure they get to their classroom safely. Kindergarten students must be walked into their classroom or signed in to early drop off in the cafeteria.
- Please follow arrival and dismissal procedures by pulling all the way up as you arrive in the front of the school to drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon.
- During dismissal time, students in grades 1-5 will be brought to the kindergarten play yard. If you are looking for your child during dismissal, they will be waiting in this area. Please come to the kindergarten playground gate to get your child.
- Please keep in mind that there is supervision at the school beginning at 7:45 a.m. for no charge. If you choose to sign you child up for morning Early Care Adventure Club, the cost will be $15.00 per week. This morning program is available from 6:45 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. Please feel free to drop off your child starting at 7:45 a.m. if you wish, or 6:45 a.m. if you signed up for early care program. When they arrive, they should proceed to the auditorium area.
- Students must enter through the front gate near the auditorium in the morning. All other gates will be closed and locked. If your child is riding his/her bike to school, they can lock their bike up at the bike rack and walk to the auditorium.
- The start of school bell is rung at 8:40 a.m. Please make sure your child arrives to school by 8:40 a.m.
- Dismissal time is at 1:30 p.m. every Monday and 3:10 p.m. Tuesday - Friday. Please make sure to pick up your child on time each day. If you have an emergency and you are running late, please call the office at 626-396-5730.
School calendars and other important information may be found here on Hamilton’s website, www.bobcatbuzz.com. Notices from the office, district, and community are posted on Peachjar. You may access the site by clicking on the icon which is located on the lower right margin of our school’s website.
As I begin my first year as Principal of Hamilton School, I feel so fortunate to work with such a wonderful staff, magnificent students, and very supportive families. I am looking forward to a wonderful school year!