Guidelines for Remote Learning
Goals for remote learning
- To maintain relationships within our learning community
- To reinforce learning and minimize skill regression
- To connect all students to the most essential learning
- We are in this together. We prioritize the relationships and mental well-being of all members of our learning community. Much of this is as new to teachers as it is to families and students, so we encourage patience and flexibility as we navigate this unusual setting together.
- Less is more. When covering new content, we have asked teachers to focus on only the most essential topics. Anticipate covering significantly less content than would normally be accomplished in an in-person setting. All students are facing this situation and schools will make future adjustments.
- Students should be able to participate in learning. We will prioritize asynchronous lessons & assignments that can be accessed at times convenient to the family. If you have trouble accessing, please contact your child's teacher first.
- Teachers will set up routine times for communication and posting of lessons & assignments. Families are also urged to set up routines that are predictable for students.
- PUSD will provide lessons & assignments that can be accessed at times convenient to the family. We are aware of the varying schedules and demands on a family’s availability, so we will continue to maintain videos, tasks and resources that can be viewed repeatedly at any time (asynchronous learning).
- Live meetings (synchronous learning) may be used for office hours or small groups at pre-scheduled times, but are not required.
- Time spent on tasks in remote learning are not the same as in-person classes. Students are encouraged to explore, play, and have personal balance. The following guidelines have been provided:
Total Instructional Time
(Recommended Minutes, Total All Learning Activities)
Length of Sustained Attention
(Recommended Minutes, Each Learning Activity)
40 - 70 minutes
3 - 5 minutes
80 - 100 minutes
5 - 10 minutes
120 - 140 minutes
8 - 12 minutes
160 - 200 minutes
12 - 30 minutes
220 - 280 minutes
12 - 45 minutes
- Teachers will provide feedback to guide student learning. Per Education Code, grading will continue to be at the discretion of the teacher during this time.
- PUSD asks that students use our secure web tools, such as PUSD email accounts, PowerSchool Learning, and live meetings on Google Hangout Meet.