Skip To Main Content


Who can enroll in Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?
Transitional Kindergarten is available to those children who turn 5 between September 2 and June 2 of the 2024-25 school year.

What distinguishes Transitional Kindergarten from Kindergarten?
Transitional Kindergarten bridges the path between preschool and kindergarten and gives children an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment tailored to meet their academic and social needs. TK provides the gift of time that will help students build a strong foundation for success in elementary school.

After Transitional Kindergarten, do students advance to Kindergarten or First Grade?

Transitional Kindergarten means the student will be in a Kindergarten program for two years. Students attend the assigned school for one year; after that, they go to Kindergarten at their school of residence or the family applies via Open Enrollment for another PUSD campus or program.

How long is the class day for Transitional Kindergarten? 
Transitional Kindergarten, like Kindergarten, is a full school day.

Is transportation provided for Transitional Kindergarten?

Are there afterschool options for Transitional Kindergarten children?
Pasadena LEARNs provides afterschool programming for PUSD students in all grades, including Transitional Kindergarten. Registration occurs at the school site.

How do families register for Kindergarten? Transitional Kindergarten?
Families are invited to register children at their neighborhood school or participate in Open Enrollment for another PUSD TK school or dual language immersion program. To confirm the neighborhood school, use the School Locator. Space is limited.

What documents are needed to register in Pasadena Unified School District?
To register a child for the first time, the following documents need to be presented at the school office:

  • Child’s birth certificate
  • Proof of current immunizations
  • Proof of rent/ownership within PUSD boundaries (deed of trust, property tax bill, lease agreement, rental payment receipt) in the parent/guardian name
  • Current utility bill in the parent/guardian name (the following are accepted: gas, electric or water)

How are TK programs different than preschool or other child development programs offered by Local Education Agencies (LEAs) for three and four year old children?
TK programs, as defined in statute, are not preschool classrooms or child development programs. They are part of the K-12 public school system and are the first year of a two-year kindergarten program, which uses a Transitional Kindergarten curriculum developed by PUSD in accordance with the Preschool Foundations, California Standards and Assessments. Pursuant to EC 48000(f), TK programs are intended to be aligned to the California Preschool Learning Foundations developed by the CDE. TK programs are required to be taught by a teacher who meets credentialing requirements.

Preschool or other child development programs, offered by LEAs to prepare three and four year old children for school, are not required to be taught by persons meeting teacher credential requirements. Instead, they must meet separate child development permit requirements. LEAs should ensure that parents understand the difference between various locally implemented preschool programs intended to support kindergarten readiness and the transition to kindergarten from the TK program delineated in statute.

If you are interested in PUSD Early Education/Pre-Kindergarten (PreK) programs, please call (626) 396-5762.