LAUNCH YOUR TEACHING CAREER: Become a Substitute Teacher
Salary $200 / day
Download our flyer (click here)
As a PUSD substitute teacher, you have a chance to help your community and help yourself with flexible, additional income. Substitute teachers are vital to our mission, providing much-needed relief to our teaching staff and helping our students succeed. In turn, you can grow your skills and earn an income at your own pace and schedule.
- Flexible schedule that works around your availability — work as much or as little as you wish.
- Grow transferable skills such as problem-solving, time management, public speaking and experience working with kids, to help you in your personal and professional aspirations.
- Earn an income doing meaningful work that enriches your community and the growth of our students.
- Pasadena Unified School District services the diverse communities of Altadena, Pasadena, and Sierra Madre.
- We prepare students for the future by inspiring the joy of learning in every child every day.
- PUSD and educators adhere to all teaching guidelines set forth by the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
Download the Steps to Becoming a Substitute Teacher (PDF)
With the national shortage of teachers, it is easier than ever to become a Substitute Teacher. Follow these steps to become a Substitute Teacher at PUSD today!
Interested in furthering your career in teaching? Click here to learn about our Teacher Residency Program.
Apply for a Certificate of Clearance with the CTC.
This is a background check required by the CTC for every applicant and is obtained via LiveScan fingerprints through the DOJ and FBI.
To obtain your Certificate of Clearance through the CTC:
- Print three (3) copies of the LiveScan 41-LS form and take them to Live Scan Location near you. Retain a copy of the Live Scan form for your records.
- Log on to https://www.ctc.ca.gov/ and click the blue Educator Login button to complete the online application. An application fee is required via credit or debit card ($50 application fee + $2.50 service charge)
- Check your email for a confirmation number
Submit an employment application with PUSD for Substitute Teaching.
For questions, contact our Certificated HR Team: (626) 396-3600 x88000
To be considered and added to the PUSD Sub List, apply today!
Log onto EdJoin at: www.edjoin.org/Home/DistrictJobPosting/1460320
Documents needed for upload:
- A copy of your college transcript (unofficial or student copies are acceptable)
- A copy of your credential/permit
- A Resume
- Letter of Introduction
- One (1) Letter of Recommendation
This permit authorizes the holder to serve as a substitute for no more than 30 days for any one (1) teacher during the school year. This rule is limited to 20 days for one teacher in a special education classroom.
To apply for your permit, gather all documents and mail them to CTC’s address below:
Commission on Teacher Credentialing Certification Division
1900 Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95811-4213
- Official (sealed) transcripts showing the conferral of a baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Application Form 41-4 plus $100 processing fee (This fee may be paid by check or money order made payable to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing).
- Include proof of meeting the basic skills requirement. Any one (1) of the following would satisfy this requirement:
Passing score on CBEST
OR – Passing score on CSET
OR – Passing score on the CSU Early Assessment Program
OR – Passing score on the CSU Placement Examinations
OR – Achieve qualifying score on the SAT or ACT
OR – Passing score on College Board AP Examinations
OR – Qualifying coursework & exams as determined by the CTC
For details, visit: https://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/basic-skills-requirement-(cl-667)
PUSD is an equal opportunity employer who promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workforce.