Remote Learning in 2020-21
Goals & Guiding Principles
- Focus on strong foundations, including a depth of understanding of core concepts, a high degree of procedural skill and fluency, and the ability to apply the skills they are learning inside and outside the classroom.
- Balance is maintained across content and pedagogical practices.
- Consistency in content and pedagogical practices results in a coherent K-12 student experience.
- Differentiation enables students to meet or exceed standards-based learning goals. This requires teachers to know the needs of individual students in order to customize the learning experience so that each student can make meaning of the content.
Instruction in 2020-21 requires a significant shift in how we relay academic content and, more importantly, how much of that content we can reasonably expect a student to absorb.
For the 2020-2021 school year, PUSD will provide two instructional models for learning that are designed for intentional delivery of remote instruction: hybrid and online.
- The hybrid model is a combination of in-person and online learning environments. During the year, the hybrid model can move between seeing students on or off-campus (remote learning). The schedule for the hybrid model will remain the same, regardless if students are reporting to campus or are learning from home. This model will be offered in PUSD’s Phases 1 and 2.
Once we receive clearance from public health authorities (in Phase 3), students can choose to remain with online learning from home or move to on-campus learning.
- The online model program provides an alternative to the hybrid model program. The program is delivered through a virtual setting using a pre-built, native online program as a baseline for delivering core curriculum.
- The Pasadena Unified School District is committed to educating each and every one of our students through the lens of equity and justice, in alignment with Board Policy 0415. Our students’ cultures and identities are the primary levers that enable us to establish positive relationships, build trust, and teach meaningful and relevant skills and content.
- We are committed to providing every student with access to a high-quality education in keeping with the PUSD Graduate Profile.
Getting Ready for the First Day of School
- Every student is provided with a PUSD-provided Chromebook.
- Students will be expected to login in and start their school day at the regular start time.
- Schools will provide students and parents with specific schedules. See sample schedules
- Students will use the Canvas Learning Management System which will appear on their Clever Dashboard. Canvas contains the course(s) that students will need for learning activities. Students can log into Canvas from any device when logged into a Chrome browser.
- Internet Hotspots can be requested via gopusd.com/helpdesk or email email@example.com
Picking up Academic Materials & Technology: The distribution of student textbooks, supplies, and devices (Chromebooks, etc.) begins the week of August 10. To ensure the safety of students, school staff, and families, distribution will be staggered over several dates and times. The dates and times will be communicated to parents/guardians by each school.