On Friday, January 25, 2019, Marshall Fundamental's Innovation Project winners presented their solutions to housing to a panel of industry professionals at the City of Pasadena Council Chambers. What a great experience and opportunity for the Marshall Fundamental students.
Thanks again to the Industry Professionals who read the 11 essays in advance; then were able to hear the students professionally present their ideas and solutions to housing. The panel critiqued their ideas, provided insight and input, encouraged out-of-the-box thinking, and sometimes criticized outlandish proposed concepts. However, overall they were supportive, encouraging, and provided our students with first-hand Civic Engagement experience.
- Jason Lee - Real Estate Consultant at IRN Realty.
- Del Lile - Real Estate Developer through Coldwell Bankers (Pasadena Educational Foundation Board Member)
- Margaret McAustin - City Council Member District 2, previously served as Pasadena City Planning Commissioner and later appointed to the Planning Commission
- Dr. Jill Shook - Doctorate of Ministry BGU, advocate for affordable housing
- Mayor Terry Tornek - and prior City of Pasadena - Public Agency Planning Director
- Mark Van Lue, Executive Director for San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity
Parents were also on hand to watch and listen. In some cases, it was their first time hearing their child's proposal. You could recognize the parent's approval, from the nodding of their heads and the smiles on their faces.
In addition to the experience, students received a Marshall Fundamental Innovation Project Certificate of Academic Excellence, a Certificate of Recognition from Senator Anthony J. Portantino (who was unable to attend), a $25.00 Amazon gift card, lunch at Island's Restaurant, and a very memorable secondary school experience.
Congratulations to our top Innovation Project Winners:
- Most Inspirational: Melody Ahn - Teacher: Maria Torres
- Most Enlightening: Krishna Melendez, Jordan Patton, & Emily Yung - Teacher: Joshua Tornek
- Most Practical: Aresha Echols, Lucia Edmonds, Avery Redfearn, & Helen Windsor - Teacher: Jia Wu
- Best Presentation: Jocelyn Borys & Annabelle Zazueta - Teacher: Jason Fukao
- Best Paper: Oisin Cleary, Claudia d'Auria, & Daniel Fallas - Teacher: Joshua Tornek