What is Open Enrollment?
We know that you have many choices in selecting the best education for your child and we thank you for making PUSD your first choice. While every child living within PUSD boundaries is assured placement in their neighborhood school, a different campus might offer a specialized program or focus that better meets the interests and needs of the individual student. PUSD's annual Open Enrollment process offers families an opportunity to apply to attend a school other than their neighborhood school in the next academic year.
The 2023-2024 school year started on August 14, 2023. PUSD accepts new student enrollment throughout the school year. Please contact our office at (626)396-3639 for assistance and forms.
Open Enrollment 2024-2025
Sibling and Program Priority: Eligible families may apply for Fall 2024
Apply: October 24, 2023, 9 AM- November 13, 2023, 4 PM
Results Available Online: December 4, 2023, by 11:59 PM
Accept school offers by December 20, 2023, 4 PM to confirm placement
- Siblings: Siblings of an enrolled PUSD student who lives at the same address and will attend the same school/program at the same time.
- Program Priority: Current PUSD students who are advancing to 6th or 9th grades and continuing in the same program at the next school (IB, STEM/Arts magnets, dual language, Math Academy)
Neighborhood School Registration: Families may register to attend their neighborhood school for Fall 2024
Beginning December 4, 2023 (ongoing)
Neighborhood school registration begins Dec. 1, 2023, for the 2024-2025 school year. Families may register for their neighborhood school if they are:
- New to PUSD K-12 students who prefer their neighborhood school; kindergarten students must turn 5 by September 1, 2024
- New to PUSD students entering Transitional Kindergarten; transitional kindergarten students must turn 5 between September 2, 2024 - June 2, 2025
- Current PUSD students who are changing schools as they advance to 6th or 9th grades and prefer to attend their neighborhood school.
Please note: Registration is not required for TK-12th grade students to continue at the same school. For example, if a child is moving on from 2nd to 3rd grade at their current school, parents are not required to re-register. Registration is only required for the categories listed above.
Our registration processes are being updated for the 2024-25 school year. More information will be posted online by December 4th at pusd.us/register.
Enrollment Lotteries: PUSD families may apply online to participate in the lottery for another PUSD school or a dual language immersion program for Fall 2024
Apply: January 9, 2024, 9AM - January 26, 2024, 4PM
Results Available Online: February 16, 2024 by 11:59PM
Accept school offers by March 1, 2024, 4PM
- New and continuing TK-12 students residing in PUSD may apply for schools other than the student’s neighborhood school or for a dual language immersion program.
- Children of full-time, monthly PUSD employees and full-time, monthly employees of the City of Pasadena (verification required) are eligible to participate.
- Families who missed the sibling/program priority application period continue to be eligible for sibling/program priority during the 1st lottery.
- First lottery participants not offered their 1st choice may remain on wait lists for any higher preference schools until one week before school begins.
Apply online: pusd.schoolmint.com
Apply: March 4, 2024, 9AM - March 8, 2024, 4PM
Results Available Online: March 19, 2024 by 11:59PM
Accept school offers by March 22, 2024, 4PM
- New & continuing TK-12 students residing in PUSD who missed the first lottery
- Second lottery participants not offered their 1st choice may remain on wait lists for any higher preference schools until one week before school begins.
Apply online: pusd.schoolmint.com
Late Applications and Permit Requests
March 25, 2024-August 2, 2024
- Late applications will remain available online for schools/programs with remaining openings at pusd.schoolmint.com.
- Families who reside outside of PUSD are eligible to submit a request*
- Students attending a permit school who wish to return to their neighborhood school may submit a relinquish permit request.
*Any school offers for students who reside outside of PUSD are only valid upon approved release from the student's district of residence and acceptance by PUSD via an approved interdistrict permit per Board Policy 5117. See interdistrict permits for more information.
Students who wish to enroll after August 2, 2024 may contact the Office of Enrollment for assistance.
Assistance is available!
- All applications and forms are available online and may be completed wherever there is internet: home, school, libraries, community centers.
- Families may contact community assistants and registrars at school sites for support.
- Assistance is also available in person by appointment at the PUSD Education Center, Room 123. To make an appointment, please call (626)396-3639.
- Questions and Answers