What is Open Enrollment?
We know that you have many choices in selecting the best education for your child and we thank you for making PUSD your first choice. While every child living within PUSD boundaries is assured placement in their neighborhood school, a different campus might offer a specialized program or focus that better meets the interests and needs of the individual student. PUSD's annual Open Enrollment process offers families an opportunity to apply to attend a school other than their assigned neighborhood school in the next academic year.
Open Enrollment 2022-23
School of Residence Registrations: Families may register to attend their school of residence for Fall 2022
Pre-enrollment for schools of residence will be active beginning November 29, 2021.
Beginning November 29, 2021
- New to PUSD K-12 students who prefer their school of residence; kindergarten students must turn 5 by September 1, 2022
- New to PUSD students entering Transitional Kindergarten
- Current PUSD students who are promoting to 6th or 9th grades and prefer to attend their school of residence: pusd.us/findmyschool
Enrollment Lotteries: PUSD families may apply online to participate in the lottery for another PUSD school or a dual language immersion program for Fall 2022
Apply: January 10, 2022, 9AM - January 28, 2022, 4PM
Results Available Online: February 17, 2022 by 11:59PM
Register: February 18, 2022, 9AM - February 28, 2022, 4PM
- New and continuing K-12 students residing in PUSD may apply for schools other than the student’s school of residence or for a dual language immersion program
- New TK students residing in PUSD may apply for a dual language immersion program
- Children of full-time, monthly PUSD employees and full-time, monthly employees of the City of Pasadena (verification required)
- Families who missed the sibling/priority application period
- First lottery participants not offered their 1st choice must select "Continue to Next Round" to be included in the second lottery
Apply: March 7, 2022, 9AM - March 11, 2022, 4PM
Results Available Online: March 18, 2022 by 11:59PM
Register: March 21, 2022, 9AM - March 25, 2022, 4PM
- New & continuing TK-12 students residing in PUSD who missed the first lottery
Out-of-district applicants may apply beginning March 28th. Please see "Interdistrict Permits" below.
Permit Requests: Families may submit Intradistrict & Interdistrict Permit Requests for Fall 2022
Beginning March 28, 2022
- Intradistrict permit requests for students new to PUSD after the close of the second enrollment lottery
- Interdistrict permits to enter PUSD from another district of residence* (Out-of-District Applications of Interest)
March 28, 2022-August 4, 2022
- Requests to relinquish permits to return to school of residence
March 28, 2022-August 4, 2022
- Interdistrict permits to exit PUSD* March 28, 2022-June 28, 2022
*Requires release from district of residence and acceptance by requested district per BP 5117
Assistance is available!
- All applications and forms are available online and may be completed wherever there is internet: home, school, libraries, community centers.
- Families may contact community assistants and registrars at school sites for support.
- Assistance is also available in-person by appointment at the PUSD Education Center, Room 123. To make an appointment, please call (626)396-3639.
- Questions and Answers