What is Open Enrollment?
We know that you have many choices in selecting the best education for your child and we thank you for making PUSD your first choice. While every child living within PUSD boundaries is assured placement in their neighborhood school, a different campus might offer a specialized program or focus that better meets the interests and needs of the individual student. PUSD's annual Open Enrollment process offers families an opportunity to apply to attend a school other than their neighborhood school in the next academic year.
New to PUSD? Enrollment for the 2022-23 school year is ongoing.
Please visit your neighborhood school or contact the Office of Enrollment for assistance (626)396-3639.
2023-2024 Open Enrollment dates are here!
Open Enrollment 2023-2024
Sibling and Program Priority: Eligible families may apply for Fall 2023
Apply: October 24, 2022, 9AM- November 14, 2022, 4PM
Results Available Online: December 1, 2022, by 11:59PM
Register: by December 19, 2022, 4PM to confirm placement
- Siblings: Siblings of an enrolled PUSD student who live at the same address and will attend the same school/program at the same time.
- Program Priority: Current PUSD students who are advancing to 6th or 9th grades and continuing in the same program at the next school (IB, STEM/Arts magnets, dual language, Math Academy)
School of Residence Registrations: Families may register to attend their neighborhood school for Fall 2023
Beginning December 1, 2022 (ongoing)
Neighborhood school registration began Dec. 1, 2022, for the 2023-2024 school year. Families may register for their neighborhood school if they are:
- New to PUSD K-12 students who prefer their neighborhood school; kindergarten students must turn 5 by September 1, 2023
- New to PUSD students entering Transitional Kindergarten; transitional kindergarten students must turn 5 between September 2, 2023 - April 2, 2024
- Current PUSD students who are changing schools as they advance to 6th or 9th grades and prefer to attend their neighborhood school: pusd.us/findmyschool
Please note: registration is not required for TK-12th grade students to continue at the same school. For example, if a child is moving on from 2nd to 3rd grade at their current neighborhood school, parents are not required to re-register. Registration is only required for the categories listed above.
Register now: pusd.us/registration
Enrollment Lotteries: PUSD families may apply online to participate in the lottery for another PUSD school or a dual language immersion program for Fall 2023
Apply: January 9, 2023, 9AM - January 27, 2023, 4PM
Results Available Online: February 16, 2023 by 11:59PM
Register: February 17, 2023, 9AM - February 27, 2023, 4PM
- New and continuing TK-12 students residing in PUSD may apply for schools other than the student’s neighborhood school or for a dual language immersion program.
- Children of full-time, monthly PUSD employees and full-time, monthly employees of the City of Pasadena (verification required) are eligible to participate.
- Families who missed the sibling/priority application period continue to be eligible for sibling/program priority during the 1st lottery.
- First lottery participants not offered their 1st choice may remain on wait lists for any higher preference schools until one week before school begins.
Apply online: pusd.schoolmint.com
Apply: March 6, 2023, 9AM - March 10, 2023, 4PM
Results Available Online: March 17, 2023 by 11:59PM
Register: March 20, 2023, 9AM - March 27, 2023, 4PM
- New & continuing TK-12 students residing in PUSD who missed the first lottery
- Second lottery participants not offered their 1st choice may remain on wait lists for any higher preference schools until one week before school begins.
Apply online: pusd.schoolmint.com
Permit Requests: Families may submit intradistrict & interdistrict Permit Requests for Fall 2022
Beginning March 27, 2023
- Intradistrict permit requests for students new to PUSD after the close of the second enrollment lottery
- Interdistrict permits for out-of-district residents to enter PUSD from another district of residence*
March 27, 2023-August 3, 2023
- Requests to relinquish permits to return to school of residence March 27, 2023-August 3, 2023
- Interdistrict permits to exit PUSD* March 27, 2023-June 28, 2023
Submit a permit request form.
*Requires release from district of residence and acceptance by requested district per BP 5117
Assistance is available!
- All applications and forms are available online and may be completed wherever there is internet: home, school, libraries, community centers.
- Families may contact community assistants and registrars at school sites for support.
- Assistance is also available in-person by appointment at the PUSD Education Center, Room 123. To make an appointment, please call (626)396-3639.
- Questions and Answers