Secondary Dual Language Immersion Programs
Students in PUSD's secondary dual language immersion programs have the unique opportunity to engage in consistent practice of the target language every day in oral and written form. Students and families can expect intensity of instruction, use of the target language at advanced cognitive levels, and an environment that encourages bilingualism and fosters the study and maintenance of target language skills. In middle school, two courses are taught in the target language each year: Target Language Arts and History Social-Science.
High schools offer one or two advanced courses each year in the target language including:
Mandarin - AP Chinese Language and Culture, Chinese Business & Cinema, and work-based learning opportunities.
Spanish - Latin American Literature, Chicano Literature, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, IB High Level Spanish, and work-based learning opportunities.
In response to community interest, PUSD will begin offering an Armenian bilingual high school option with a global approach through the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program, thereby expanding PUSD’s bilingual and bi-literacy offerings.
- The new Armenian Immersion Program will offer the following classes in 2020-21: Armenian I, Armenian II, Armenian III, Armenian IV (subject to minimum student enrollment).
- As the program expands, PUSD plans to offer additional courses including Armenian Literature and Armenian History and Culture.
- Current PUSD students must submit an application between April 6th-20th, 2020 to enroll in the program.
- New to PUSD resident students and out-of-district students may apply online between April 6th -August 6th, 2020. Additional requirements are posted on PUSD's Open Enrollment website.
Sierra Madre Middle School: Grades 6-8
160 N Cañon Ave
Sierra Madre, CA 91024
Our newly constructed community school is committed to providing a program which promotes academic, physical, emotional, and social growth for all of our students within a safe and secure environment. Our goal is to foster high student academic achievement and creative thinking among our students, to work together with parents and the community for the good of all students.
- In addition to being a strong neighborhood school, our unique Mandarin Dual Language Immersion program gives students an opportunity to further strengthen their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in Mandarin and English.
- Our SMMS Service Club is the most popular club on campus, allowing students to volunteer and connect with service opportunities both on and off campus.
- Our active parent community, excellent teachers, and strong leadership work together to provide our students with a comprehensive educational experience including a robust visual and performing arts program.
Pasadena High School: Grades 9-12
2925 E Sierra Madre Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91107
The district’s largest comprehensive high school, we are a culturally diverse learning community dedicated to instilling in our students a rigorous academic foundation, quality citizenship in a changing society, and a productive work life now and in the future. The school offers a variety of outstanding curricular and extra-curricular programs, giving students opportunities to engage with each other and the community both in and beyond the classroom.
- About one-third of students enroll in one of three College & Career Academies: App Academy; Creative Arts, Media & Design; or Law & Public Service
- We are the site for students who participate in the Mandarin Dual Language Immersion Program. Our Mandarin language classes are available as a World Language to non-DLIP students in addition to Spanish, French, and American Sign Language.
- In addition to our many Advanced Placement classes, Math Academy students from the district’s highly advanced middle school math program have the opportunity to pursue college-level mathematics courses.
Octavia E. Butler Magnet: Grades 6-8
1505 N. Marengo Avenue
Pasadena CA 91103
Our middle school Magnet program provides a rigorous science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics-based curriculum that addresses the needs of each student. Our goal is for students to become problem solvers, innovators, logical thinkers, literate in technology, and self-reliant.
- Our Scientist in Residence supports students in creating hands-on STEAM projects in our new Design Lab and helps teachers integrate project-based learning into our core classes.
- Our campus is home to a Spanish Dual Language Immersion program, the Math Academy for highly advanced math students, musical and theatre performances by our renowned Glee Club, and a brand new gym and athletic facility.
- We are the first school in California to earn the National Certificate for STEM Excellence from the National Institute for STEM Education because of our commitment to and growth in our implementation of 21st century and STEM strategies. STEM elective classes expose our students to the many ways STEM concepts contribute to our lives and the world, including a Robotics class that will become the WSMA Competitive Robotics Team.
Blair, An International Baccalaureate (IB) World School: Grades 6-12
1135 S Euclid Ave
Pasadena, CA 91106
An International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, Blair has a shared commitment to learning, cooperation, tolerance and self-discipline. Because of the IB focus, our students become lifelong learners, and responsible participants and contributors in our culturally diverse, democratic society. Blair serves students in grades 6-12 on adjacent middle and high school campuses.
- We offer the IB Middle Years Programme for all students in grades 6-10, and the academically rigorous IB Diploma Programme for students in grades 11 and 12.
- The district's middle school and high school Spanish Dual Language Immersion Program, the International Academy for new students to our country, and Army JROTC add to our world view.
- Our Health Careers Academy is authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme certificate, for students completing two IB Diploma courses in addition to their career-related courses and hands-on experience.