Welcome To Transitional Kindergarten

  • Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program.  TK provides an early childhood education program that builds a bridge between preschool years and traditional Kindergarten.

    ELIGIBILITY: Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is designed for students who turn 5 years old between September 2 and December 2 for the 2021-22 school year or between September 2 and February 2 for the 2022-23 school year. TK is ideal for students who may benefit from an enriched foundational early childhood education program to prepare them for success in traditional Kindergarten.  Pursuant to law, EC 48000(c)


    *2022-23 school year

    Transitional Kindergarten means the student will be in a Kindergarten program for two years. Students may attend their assigned school or submit an online lottery application for another school or dual language immersion program. Students attend transitional kindergarten for one year; after that, they go to kindergarten at their school of residence or the family applies via Open Enrollment School Choice for another PUSD campus or program.

    2021-2022 List of School Assignments  
    2022-2023 List of School Assignments

    The Benefits of Transitional Kindergarten

    • Children are better prepared to succeed.
    • Families have an additional option to ensure their children enter kindergarten with the maturity, confidence and skills they need to excel.
    • Schools benefit because children will be better prepared to succeed academically and less likely to be placed in special education or held back in later grades. 

    As a Parent, What Do I Need to Know?

    • Transitional Kindergarten is taught by credentialed teachers from the K-12 system, which now includes Transitional Kindergarten.
    • Transitional Kindergarten is part of the public school system and free for families. 
    • ENROLLMENT:  To register for Transitional Kindergarten, go to your school of residence and let the office know that you would like to register for Transitional Kindergarten. To find your school of residence, use our School Locator. Visit Open Enrollment for more details.    

    Is there an after school program for Transitional Kindergarten?

    PasadenaLEARNs serves students in grades K-8. Transitional Kindergarten students may participate in the program if space is available. Contact the LEARNs Site Coordinator at your child's school for more information. Click here to find out more about LEARNs.

Answers to More Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who can enroll in Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?

    Transitional Kinder is for children who will turn five years old between September 2nd and February 2nd of the 2022-23 school year.

    Does PUSD make placement exceptions for children with birthdays close to the cutoff dates?

    PUSD strongly supports the Kindergarten Readiness Act. State funding guidelines are based on adherence to prescribed birth dates. 

    What distinguishes Transitional Kindergarten from Kindergarten?

    Transitional Kindergarten bridges the path between preschool and kindergarten and gives children an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment tailored to meet their academic and social needs. TK provides the gift of time that will help students build a strong foundation for success in elementary school.

    After Transitional Kindergarten, do students advance to Kindergarten or First Grade?

    Transitional Kindergarten means the student will be in a Kindergarten program for two years. Students attend the assigned school for one year; after that, they go to Kindergarten at their school of residence or the family applies via Open Enrollment for another PUSD campus or program.

    How long is the class day for Transitional Kindergarten?

    Transitional Kindergarten, like Kindergarten, is a full school day.

    Is transportation provided for Transitional Kindergarten?

    PUSD does not provide general education transportation.

    How do families register for Transitional Kindergarten?

    Check the list of school assignments for Transitional Kindergarten. Then, visit pusd.us/registration to register at your assigned Transitional Kindergarten campus.

    Limited seats will also be available via lottery application during the Open Enrollment lottery dates, including seats for dual language immersion TK programs.

    What documents are needed to register for Transitional Kindergarten?

    To register a child for the first time, the following documents need to be presented at the school office:

    • Child's birth certificate
    • Proof of current immunizations
    • Proof of rent/ownership within PUSD boundaries (deed of trust, property tax bill, lease agreement, rental payment receipt) in the parent/guardian name
    • Current utility bill in the parent/guardian name (the following are accepted: gas, electric or water)

    For more information, please call the Office of Enrollment, Permits & Records (626) 396-3639 and visit the California Department of Education. If you are interested in Pre-Kindergarten programs, call or visit Early Childhood Education Department, 524 Palisade St, Pasadena 91103, CA (626) 396-5762 ext 10070