July 30, 2020
Dear Don Benito Families,
Welcome to a new school year! I am honored and excited to have been appointed as the interim Principal at Don Benito. I want you to know that I am fully committed to the school and hope to serve the community in future years. It is my goal to continue the legacy of success through collaboration, hard work and a strong community partnership.
I will be sharing information as I receive it. As you know, Information is changing rapidly. Flexibility, communication and collaboration will be key in making this a meaningful school year for our students as we navigate unprecedented times.
Start of the School Year
- The first day of school is Monday, August 17. We will be starting remotely to ensure the safety of students and staff.
- The PTA welcome back event is on Thursday, August 13 at 6 p.m. It will be virtual. Save the date. More information coming in the next week.
- Student’s classroom assignments are planned to be released on Thursday, August 13.
- An instructional materials pick up day is being scheduled. More information will be available soon.
- Information on student’s daily schedules will be shared as soon as negotiations are finalized.
- The district is working on child care options with the LEARNs program.
Communication/Contact Information - Communication with the school office and your child’s teacher will be more important than ever to ensure that your child has access to instruction and assistance is provided in a timely manner.
- We need all parents/guardians to provide an email account. Contact the office staff if assistance is needed setting up an email account.
- Update your phone numbers and address to continue to receive updates in a timely manner.
- Parent Portal is a resource all parents need to sign up for to access student attendance, grades, teacher information and much more. If you do not yet have a Parent Portal account, you can go to https://www.pusd.us/Page/6203 and follow the instructions to create an account. Please make sure you have set up your account before school starts so you know what class your child is in.
- Canvas is the district’s enhanced learning platform, replacing PowerSchool Learning. It offers enhanced features for students to come together for instruction through live sessions, access lesson videos, and independent class activities and assignments. Teachers have been working hard during the summer in preparing to use Canvas. It is our goal to increase student engagement and daily participation so students can experience success. WebEx is replacing Google Meets for online meetings and live classroom sessions.
- Parents will also have access to Canvas. An informational parent video is accessible here.
- Internet access is needed in your home for students to access online instruction. Spectrum and AT&T are offering low cost programs for students. You can also request a Hot Spot for your home by requesting one through the PUSD Technology ticketing system at https://www.pusd.us/Page/6150. You will need your student’s login information to place a request. If you do not have it, please contact the school for assistance.
Visit the PUSD website at https://www.pusd.us/Domain/4 for the latest information from the district office.
Please know that my door is open and I am here to support you in any way possible. I can be reached by email at email@example.com.
Enjoy the rest of the summer!
Merle Bugarín, Ed.D.
Principal, Don Benito Fundamental