Transgender Students: Privacy and Facilities
PUSD will handle, on a case-by-case basis, a request from a transgender or gender nonconforming student to use a gender-segregated facility or participate in a gender-segregated program or activity in a manner consistent with the student’s gender identity.
Requests to Use Facilities or Participate in Programs and Activities
- Upon request, PUSD will allow any student wanting privacy to use an alternate facility (e.g, restroom, locker room) not used or occupied by other students.
- Upon request, PUSD will allow a student to use the gender-specific facility consistent with his or her gender identity.
- Upon request, PUSD will ensure that staff uses the name and pronoun preferred by a transgender or gender nonconforming student.
- Upon request, PUSD will prepare data systems to list a transgender or gender nonconforming student by his or her preferred name and gender.
- Upon request, PUSD will allow students to participate in athletics according to their gender identity in a manner that is consistent with the CIF bylaws.
Gender Identity Determination
PUSD will take seriously any manner or method by which a student chooses to notify staff of his or her new gender identity. PUSD will accept the student’s assertion unless staff has a credible basis for believing that a student’s gender identity is being asserted for an improper purpose. If district personnel have a credible basis for believing that a student’s gender identity is being asserted for an improper purpose, this basis should be documented and a written response should be provided to the student. PUSD will not require a medical or mental health diagnosis or treatment in order for a student to have his or her gender identity recognized.
Privacy Rights of Transgender or Gender Nonconforming Student
PUSD will protect the privacy rights of all students. PUSD will address each situation on a case-by-case basis to determine the needs of each student and to work out the practical details of addressing those needs.
Professional Development and Education
PUSD will provide professional development to staff as well as offer educational activities and forums for students, guardians, and the community to encourage understanding of gender identity, gender expression, and related issues.