Vocal Performing Arts Kids
Fall Semester: August - December 2017
Instructor: Ms. Emily Clark
Email Address: email@example.com
Fall Semester of Vocal Performing Arts Kids focuses on the foundations of choral singing for middle schoolers. Students will prepare songs for the two major fall concerts, and in the process, learn fundamental music theory, how to read sheet music, and how to sing in three part harmony. The choral performances will incorporate these musical skills, as well as group choreography and acting.
PAK’s CORE VALUES
PREPARE - Always come to class with the required materials.
PARTICIPATE - You are not graded on your talent level in PAK, but rather, your enthusiasm! Be prepared to be actively engaged in every class, from warm-ups to performance.
PRACTICE - Rehearsal is important, and it’s not limited to class time. Be ready to work on your music and choreography at home, and in after school rehearsals, when necessary.
PERFORM - Fall semester has two major performances: the Halloween Show and the Winter Holiday Show. Both are part of your grade!
WHEN AND WHERE:
5TH PERIOD Choir Room, Performing Arts Building
- SHEET MUSIC - Provided by Ms. Emily
- PENCIL - NOT A PEN!
- PAK FOLDER - Provided by Ms. Emily. You only get ONE, so treat with care.
Monday, OCTOBER 30th 8:00am
Tuesday, OCTOBER 31st 8:00am
WINTER HOLIDAY SHOW
Tuesday, DECEMBER 19th 8:00am
Wednesday, DECEMBER 20th 8:00am & 6:30pm
Both performances will be on the Multipurpose Room Stage in the Performing Arts Building.
- PAK is a popular class, therefore, the group is always a big one. If you don’t want to be here, the whole class will suffer. PAK is not an “easy A”! You have to love the performing arts and want to learn more!
- Trust is important in PAK. Getting up and performing in front of people is scary, and we want to create a nurturing, safe environment in our classroom. Ms. Emily will always be on your side and never make fun of you, so don’t be afraid to be YOU!
- PAK has a no tolerance policy for bullying or “mean tween” behavior. Please RESPECT your Classroom, your Teacher, and your FELLOW PERFORMERS.
- No food or drink in the choir room, except for WATER.
- NO CELL PHONES! They should be stowed away before class even begins.
- ATTENDANCE will be taken by 8th grade assistants during warm-ups at the beginning of each class. If you show up 3 minutes after the bell, you will be marked TARDY. Any tardiness or absences must be excused by a teacher.
- Students are not allowed in the choir room if Ms. Emily is not there.
- Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated, and will result in referrals and dismissal from PAK.
- Bathroom breaks are fine (within reason), but they do require permission from Ms. Emily.
STUDENT ASSISTANT JOBS
During the first week of class, Ms. Emily will be assigning 8th graders with special jobs. These jobs do require extra work, and a level of trust and commitment to PAK. We want the best of the best for the following roles...
- SECTION LEADERS
- ATTENDANCE MONITORS
- FOLDER MONITORS
AFTER SCHOOL REHEARSALS
These are few and far between in the Fall Semester. The student choreographers and any specialty dancers will be the most likely to have a rehearsal after school, and if so, they will only be on MONDAYS or FRIDAYS. Any after school rehearsals will be given to students with plenty of notice.