The following is a list of some of the Volunteer opportunities at Hamilton. If there is something you would like to be participate in, please email email@example.com or contact your child's teacher.
Regular On-Site Volunteering (at least once a week consistently)
- Learning Center - Provides intervention in Language Arts/Math for K-5. Center is open M-F from 11-3 p.m. tutors can sign up for 30 min sessions.
- Science Lab - Help set up hands-on experiments or lead the students in experiments with the guidance of the teacher.
- Classroom Aide - ideally aides would be able to assist the different grade level classrooms: Kinder, first grade, etc. at least once a week.
- Library Aide - Help school librarian.
- Room Parent - Serves as a communication link between the PTA, Teacher and Parents, coordinates other parents in the classroom for events, in-class projects, parties and items needed. Typical responsibilities of room parents include:
- To Support the Teacher!
- Help plan and coordinate classroom needs for class projects or events
- Coordinate Classroom Volunteers
- Serve as a Communication Link between the PTA, Teacher & Parents
- Foster a Bond between the families in the classroom.
- Rolling Reader - Volunteer is able to read to classes once a week (Kinder and 1st grade classes) day and time to be coordinated with teachers.
- Playground Equipment Monitor - Check out playground equipment during lunchtime.
- Lunch Aide - help students during recess or lunch to open milks, ketchup, etc. also help oversee students during play time.
- Morning Drop-Off Line/Crossing guards* - Help guide cars through drop off line and help kids cross street safely. Drop off hours are from 8:00 to 8:40 a.m. *Please note this is not a PTA sponsored volunteer opportunity. If you are able to help, please coordinate with the Principal directly.
Periodic On-Site Volunteering (When Needed)
- Box Tops Coordinator - Promote, collect and submit Box Tops.
- Lost and Found - Organize and help items find owner
- Sales - Help with sale of t-shirts, snocones, smencils, yearbook, etc.
- Photographer - Take pictures during PTA functions or school wide events for yearbook and Bobcat website.
- Classroom Volunteer - Help with organizing/copying materials, field trips, special classroom events
NOTE re: Classroom Volunteers
Parents/guardians are welcomed as volunteers in the classroom! A few things to note before you sign up:
- Please coordinate with your room parent or with your child’s teacher in advance to find the best time for you to be in the classroom. This gives your child’s teacher a chance to determine how best to use your time and skills. It also helps minimize classroom disruption.
- For safety reasons, all classroom volunteers are required by the district to submit a completed PUSD Volunteer Application form, along with proof of a negative tuberculosis (TB) test within the last four years prior to the first day of volunteering in the classroom. TB tests are offered free of charge at the PUSD Health Care Clinic.
School Events/Programs (Specific dates)
- PTA Relfecions Contest - Help run the school-wide PTA art/performance contest. Book Fairs - Help with set-up, take-down and sales during the book fair.
- Red Ribbon Week - Promote healthy lifestyle through fun, active events. Lead by a Teacher.
- School Spirit Days - Help organize events that will allow students to show their school spirit.
- Fall Festival - Help with any of the committees (food, games, face painting, etc.)
- SMARt Night - Help organize event to raise art and science awareness through hands on activities.
- Literacy Week - Promote “Reading is Fun” through activities.
- Jog-a-thon - Help organize or assist during event; spraying kids with water or handing out water, and/or counting money.
- Teacher’s Tea/Luncheons - Help set-up and clean-up, decorate during teacher appreciation events.
- Family Dance Committee - Help plan theme, decorations , food, music, pictures, etc.
- Talent Show - Help organize and with rehearsals before talent show. Lead by a Teacher.
- Silent Auction Committee - Assists with cooking, ticket sales and closing of auction tables during fundraising event.
- Cultural Fair Committee - Helps with planning and organizing this fun family event.
- Carnival Committee - End of year school wide event to celebrate students’ hard work. Volunteers help tend booths in morning or afternoon shifts.
- Movie Night - Help monitor event and/or distribute meal
- African American History Bee - Work with Teacher to help students to prepare for district wide History Bee.
- Math Field Day - Work with Teacher to help students to prepare for district wide math competition.
- Science Fair Exhibition - Hamilton Auditorium. Help Teachers set up and take down exhibits.
- 5th grade Graduation - Help Teachers plan graduation dance and festivities.
- Annual Fund Fall and Spring Events - Help plan these events which are for parents and community members.
Virtual Volunteering (Can be done outside of school hours)
- Cooking or Baking for PTA meetings or school wide events.
- Creating posters, flyer, and signs for upcoming PTA events.
- Spanish translation (written) of PTA material
- EScrip Holiday Gift Cards - sell, track and distribute gift cards.
- Grant Research and Writing - Research and write grants for available monies in the community.
- Yearbook - Assist with various functions; layout, photography, sales, etc.
- Silent Auction Donation Requests - Assists with solicitation of items or services for our Silent Auction event.
- Annual Fund Procurement - Helps solicit monetary contributions & auction items from Hamilton community, local businesses and organizations.
You can make a difference!