Dr. Shannon Malone
Principal at Washington STEAM Multilingual Academy
Welcome to Washington STEAM Multilingual Academy. At WSMA, we are extremely proud of the many programs available to the students and families we serve. We offer an excellent academic foundation, many extracurricular activities, clubs, and an outstanding after school program.
Our academic program is built around the needs of our students. Students go through an extended process of inquiry in response to a complex question, problem, or challenge. While allowing for some degree of student “voice and choice,” rigorous projects are carefully planned. Also, projects are managed and assessed to help students learn key academic content, to practice 21st Century Skills (such as collaboration, communication & critical thinking, creativity), and create high-quality, authentic products & presentations. Students are provided grade-level instruction that will help them to successfully transition to High School and beyond.
Washington is the recipient of a second Magnet Schools Assistance Program grant. By the end of the project funding cycle, we expect to meet the following goal and/or objectives.
- Recruiting: Actively recruit students to reflect district ethnic distribution.
- Reduction of Minority group isolation: outreach and engage in inclusive practices.
- Academic achievement: Increase student performance in the English Language Arts and Mathematics
- Instruction: Integrate theme-based content and skills to achieve student mastery
- Cultural Awareness: Provide positive interactions among students of different social, economic, ethnic/racial groups
- Increase Parent Involvement: Host parent education sessions to assist with the develop parent leadership skills to support their children’s education
- Develop a Dual Language Immersion Program (DLIP) that develops bilingualism and biliteracy, strives for academic excellence, and promotes multicultural understanding.
- Support college and career readiness through implementation of the Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) Program
- Develop student’s Social-Emotional skills by acknowledging their strengths and using practices that build students’ self-esteem.
WSMA will continue to offer its STEAM program to all students enrolled in Washington. Washington students have the opportunity to explore curriculum which allows them to investigate real-world problems and devise potential solutions. We provide a rigorous academic program as well as interactive elective courses such as Automation & Robotics, Design and Modeling, Flight and Space, Spanish, Glee Club, Leadership, Band, Instrumental Music, and Art. Each elective infuses STEM (Science Technology, Engineering, and Math) in concert with the STEM curriculum.
We encourage everyone to become actively involved in our school. Our commitment is to keep parents well-informed about our school and each student’s progress in school. It is our belief that parents and guardians are students’ first teachers, therefore we are committed to helping parents by providing parent workshops. We view parent involvement as the foundation of all great schools. We have an active PTSA and offer monthly parent workshops which help parents learn how to use the computer to utilize the developmental strategies of students in middle school.