Parent Involvement Policy
ALTADENA ARTS MAGNET
“Where College Bound Students Attend”
Purpose: Altadena Arts Magnet recognizes that parents are invaluable resources in the process of educating students. Parents play an important role as the first teachers of their children and parental support is critical to a child’s success. It is the intent of Altadena Arts Magnet to establish a collaborative partnership between the home and school, and that the Title I program will be used to facilitate this endeavor.I. Altadena Arts Magnet has developed a written parental involvement policy with input from parents
- Parent Representatives from School Site Council, PTA, ELAC, AAPC, parent of GATE students and staff have jointly developed the parental involvement policy.
- Parents, including PTA, ELAC, AAPC, and Parents of GATE students, participate in the periodic updates of the policy to meet the changing needs of parents in the school. The SSC reviews and approves the policy.
- Parents who do not speak English and whose primary language is Spanish, will receive the Policy in Spanish.
- Parents receive a copy of the parental involvement policy during the registration process. Copies of the policy are also available during PTA and ELAC meetings, and the school’s main office.
- Altadena Arts Magnet's Parental Involvement Policy is available to the local community.
II. Involvement of Parents
- Altadena Arts Magnet offers flexible number of meetings.
- PTA meetings are held on monthly on different days and times to accommodate as many parents as possible.
- English Language Advisory Committee (ELAC) meetings are held the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 8:15 am.
- School Site Council (SSC) meetings are held the 3rd Wednesday of the month at 2:45 pm.
- Involves parents in the development of the school’s Single Plan for Student Achievement.
- PTA, ELAC, AAPC, and GATE parents will annually have the opportunity to review and offer input in the school’s Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) and periodic updates of the school’s parental involvement policy.
- Altadena Arts Magnet provides parents with an explanation of the curriculum, assessments, and proficiency levels students are expected to meet.
- Parents are informed about the curriculum used at the school, the academic assessment used to measure student progress, and the proficiency levels students are expected to reach at PTA, ELAC, AAPC, and SSC meetings, newsletters, and at parent workshops offered through the school.
- Altadena Arts Magnet provides parents, if requested, with opportunities for regular meetings to participate in decisions relating to the education of their children.
- Annual parent-teacher meetings to review student academic goals.
- IEP meetings.
- Student Study Team meetings with parents and staff.
In an effort to communicate effectively to all parents, the school will use several modes of communication to get information out to parents.
- Weekly telephone messages are sent to all parents in English and Spanish.
- Telephone messages will be sent in advance of meetings and events.
- Newsletters with information from different parent groups and school happenings will go out on a bi-monthly basis.
- The after school program LEARNS will be notified of upcoming events so they can share it with parents at pick up times.
- Teachers will communicate with students and parents regarding school events and policies.
- Parents will let teachers know their availability for volunteering.
- Parents and staff members will make personal contact with parents in an attempt to be more inclusive and get more parents involved.
- The school will send information by email, mail, and through telephone messages.
- The school’s website is updated every other day.
- Important flyers and announcements will be communicated to LEARNS staff so they can share the information with parents at pick up.
IV. Building Capacity for Involvement
Altadena Arts Magnet engages parents in meaningful interactions with the school. It supports a partnership among staff, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement.
- Altadena parents receive information on parent trainings and content standards, as well as how to help improve the achievement of their children.
- Altadena weekly updates the website that provides calendar for parents to ensure they are informed about parent meetings, school events, and activities.