Master Plan/Boundary SubCommittee
Chair: Kimberly Kenne; Members: Patrick Cahalan, Michelle Richardson Bailey
Next meeting date: September 30, 2019 @ 3:00 P.M.
Master Planning Overview
In order to provide robust, quality programs at each of our schools, in a fiscally stable manner in spite of a declining enrollment environment, the Master Planning and Boundaries committee will review existing site programs and capacities and future expected enrollment and bring to the board recommendations on the number and location of school sites to maintain for the next 5 to 10 years.
- Recommendations* for the 2020-2021 school year
- Recommendations* for multi-year implementation plan
- Recommendations for ongoing process to use, if needed, for further decisions
*Recommendations could include changes to number of sites, locations of programs, and the district’s Open Enrollment process, feeder patterns, transportation, school boundaries, alternative uses for empty sites, bell schedules, HS athletic programs.
- Equity – equitable access to schools/programs for all students
- Integration and diversity are important – in both ethnicity and income
- Holistic view of school district rather than individual decisions on sites
- Transparency – communicate with stakeholders and demonstrate that all options have been considered
- Be mindful of the unintended consequences of proposed changes
- Timeframe – 5 to 10 years
- District size will stabilize around 14,000 to 15,000 students
Master Planning Overview pdf
Factors for Consideration in Master Planning
- Preference for good facility conditions or presence of special program facilities
- Scenario maximizes capacity use of sites (but not over-crowded and with some room for growth)
- Promote socio-economic diversity and ethnic balance
- Preference for schools with high enrollment
- Schools located where a significant number of school age children reside
- Alternative uses for closed facilities
- Capacity to become a community-based school containing diverse partnerships with potential to generate revenue
- November 2018 - Master Plan & Boundaries Subcommittee convened
- The Master Planning & Boundaries Subcommittee and District staff will meet in September to consider recommendations for decisions by the full Board of Education.
- The Board will review recommendations on secondary schools in October