Families in Transition
Families in Transition (FIT) promotes school stability and academic success of children and youth experiencing or at-risk of experiencing homelessness. At FIT, PUSD students and families struggling with housing instability, food insecurity, lack of access to health and mental health services, recent immigration, and other challenges are provided with resources and services to help alleviate these barriers. Our team strives to ensure that all eligible students receive equitable access to a high-quality education and support services. Families in Transition is Pasadena Unified School District's McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance program.
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (MKV) provides the following rights to students experiencing housing instablity or homelessness:
- Immediate enrollment in school even if the required paperwork is not available (i.e. immunizations, proof of residency, school record).
- School selection to A) school of origin (if feasible) or B) the closest PUSD school to their current living situation.
- Assistance resolving any disputes that arise during the enrollment process.
- Immediate enrollment in the free lunch program.
- Assistance with AB1806 graduation requirements.
- Assistance with school records.
- Public transportation assistance to and from school (if feasible).
- Referrals to community agencies.
The following services and resources are readily available at Families in Transition to students and families:
- Identification, advocacy, and enrollment assistance for MKV-eligible students.
- Assistance with school supplies, backpacks, hygiene kits, and other educational essentials for MKV-eligible students.
- Outreach and case management services for students and families experiencing or at-risk of experiencing homelessness.
- Referrals to community agencies for food and shelter (We do NOT have information on houses or apartments for rent.)
- Information on community resources to local health and mental health agencies.
- Guidance on AB1806 graduation requirements for high school students.
- Food pantry assistance and holiday collaborations with the Salvation Army - Pasadena Tabernacle.
- Other specialized services as needed by students and families at-risk of experiencing homelessness.
Families in Transition is located at the PUSD Center for Student & Family Services on the campus of Madison Elementary School. The center's address is 750 N. Los Robles Ave. Pasadena, CA 91104.
Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00AM-12:00PM & 1:00PM-4:00PM (Office is closed 12:00PM-1:00PM for lunch). Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please call for an appointment. No walk-ins.
Contact Info: (626) 396-5782 main line or (626) 720-2476 voice/text
Program Coordinator II
Senior Community Advocate
FIT Main Line: 626-396-5782
FIT Cell Phone: 626-720-2476
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please call for an appointment. No walk-ins.