Families interested in enrolling in a school other than their school of residence may apply via Open Enrollment. Please see Board of Education Board Policy 5116.1 and Administration Regulations 5116.1.
Transfers are not permitted during the school year.
If your child is currently attending a PUSD campus other than your school of residence, and you wish to change his or her enrollment to the school of residence for the next school year, you must present two forms of residency at the time of registration and complete registration two weeks before the school year starts (See Form 8, Relinquish Permit).
Families may request to enroll in Pasadena Unified School District at many of our schools and signature programs or request to exit to enroll in a different school district in accordance with PUSD Board Policy 5117, which reflects current Education Code.
Interdistrict permits must be completed whenever the student changes schools and/or there is an interdistrict attendance agreement between the PUSD and another district that requires this. The District anticipates openings for non-PUSD-residents at some schools and in some Signature Programs.
Interdistrict Permit Applications
- See Form 9-1 AND 9-1
- Please submit both application/questionnaire and any required supporting documentation to District Registrar: email@example.com.
- For the 2022-23 school year, interdistrict permit applications to enter the District are available beginning March 28, 2022.
- Interdistrict permit applications to exit the District are available March 28, 2022 - June 22-2022.
Reasons for Approval/Denial and Documents Required for Supporting Evidence
Only interdistrict permit requests meeting board policy criteria as outlined in PUSD Board Policy 5117 will be considered for approval. Permit requests that do not meet this board policy criteria will be denied. All permit requests must be accompanied by supporting documentation based on the type of permit requested. The parent or guardian must submit all required supporting documentation.
- Valid interest in a specialized program not offered in the residing district (not including special education program)- Evidence of provisional program acceptance and program brochure
- Continuing Enrollment in the requested district- Recent report card or enrollment verification by administrator or designee at the currently enrolled school/district
- Sibling Attendance in the requested district- Sibling's recent report card or enrollment verification by administrator or designee at the currently enrolled school/district
- Childcare provider who provides care in the requested district- Recent provider receipt or childcare affidavit with photocopy of valid ID of childcare provider
- Parent employment in the requested district- Recent paystub or employment affidavit verifying full-time employement in the requested district
- Safety and Protection- Documentation by the residing district's department of Child, Welfare, Attendance, & Safety
- Mental, Physical, Social-emotional Health or Adjustment- Certification by physician, school psychologist, or other appropriate school personnel
- Pending move to requested district or request to remain following move- Escrow documentation, mortgage statement, or rental agreement
The Superintendent or designee may deny initial requests for interdistrict attendance permits due to limited district resources, overcrowding of school facilities at the relevant grade level, or other considerations that are not arbitrary.
Failure of a parent/guardian to meet any established timelines shall be deemed abandonment of the request.
Timelines for Processing
- Current school-year requests: For an interdistrict transfer request received by the district 15 or fewer calendar days before the commencement of instruction in the school year for which the transfer is sought, the district will notify the parent/guardian of its final decision within 30 calendar days from the date the request was received.
- Future school-year requests: For an interdistrict transfer request received by the district more than 15 days before the commencement of instruction in the school year for which the interdistrict transfer is sought, the district will notify the parent/guardian of its final decision as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the commencement of instruction in the school year for which transfer is sought.
Permits may be revoked or rescinded for falsification of information on the permit application/questionnaire, any change in the permit criteria, and/or failure to main satisfactory citizenship, attendance and scholarship.
Interdistrict permits expire when student transitions to new school and/or district.