Intradistrict Permit Requests
Families interested in enrolling in a school other than their school of residence may apply for their preferred schools via Open Enrollment.
Families new to PUSD after the close of the Open Enrollment lotteries may submit an online intradistrict permit request at schoolchoicepusd.com. The online application will be available from March 28, 2022-August 4, 2022. Families who are new to the district after August 4, 2022 may contact the Office of Enrollment to request an intradistrict permit, (626)396-3639.
Voluntary transfers of current PUSD students are not permitted during the school year.* If a parent/guardian desires a transfer for their child, they may participate in the Open Enrollment process to apply for their preferred schools for the following school year, or they may complete a request for the child to return to their school of residence (relinquish permit).
Relinquish Permit Requests
Families of students currently attending a PUSD school on an intradistrict permit who wish to return to their school of residence for the next school year may relinquish their permit.
- For the 2022-23 school year, requests to relinquish permits to return to the student's school of residence may be submitted between March 28th and August 4, 2022.
Please note: Requests may only be filed by the student’s educational right’s holder.
*Exceptions to this policy are those victims of a violent criminal offense as indicated in Administration Regulations 5116.1.
Families may request to enroll in Pasadena Unified School District at many of our schools and signature programs or request to exit to enroll in a different school district in accordance with PUSD Board Policy 5117, which reflects current Education Code.
Interdistrict permits must be completed whenever the student changes schools and/or there is an interdistrict attendance agreement between the PUSD and another district that requires this. The District anticipates openings for non-PUSD-residents at some schools and in some Signature Programs.
Interdistrict Permit Applications
- Interdistrict Permit Request Form
- Please submit the online form and include any required supporting documentation as described below.
- For the 2022-23 school year, interdistrict permit applications to enter the District are available beginning March 28, 2022.
- Interdistrict permit applications to exit the District are available March 28, 2022 - June 28, 2022.
Reasons for Approval/Denial and Documents Required for Supporting Evidence
Only interdistrict permit requests meeting board policy criteria as outlined in PUSD Board Policy 5117 will be considered for approval. Permit requests that do not meet this board policy criteria will be denied. All permit requests must be accompanied by supporting documentation based on the type of permit requested. In addition to the documentation listed below, all permit requests to exit PUSD must include evidence of provisional acceptance to the requested district.
- Valid interest in a specialized program not offered in the residing district (not including special education program)- Evidence of provisional program acceptance and program brochure
- Continuing Enrollment in the requested district- Recent report card or enrollment verification by administrator or designee at the currently enrolled school/district
- Sibling Attendance in the requested district- Sibling's recent report card or enrollment verification by administrator or designee at the currently enrolled school/district
- Childcare provider who provides care in the requested district- Recent provider receipt or childcare affidavit with photocopy of valid ID of childcare provider
- Parent employment in the requested district- Recent pay stub or employment affidavit verifying full-time employment in the requested district
- Safety and Protection- Documentation by the residing district's department of Child, Welfare, Attendance, & Safety
- Mental, Physical, Social-emotional Health or Adjustment- Certification by physician, school psychologist, or other appropriate school personnel
- Pending move to requested district or request to remain following move- Escrow documentation, mortgage statement, or rental agreement
The parent or guardian must submit all required supporting documentation within 30 days of the original interdistrict permit request. Failure of a parent/guardian to meet any established timelines or documentation requirements shall be deemed abandonment of the request.
The Superintendent or designee may deny initial requests for interdistrict attendance permits due to limited district resources, overcrowding of school facilities at the relevant grade level, or other considerations that are not arbitrary, including but not limited to failure to maintain satisfactory citizenship, attendance and scholarship.
Timelines for Processing
- Current school-year requests: For an interdistrict transfer request received by the district 15 or fewer calendar days before the commencement of instruction in the school year for which the transfer is sought, the district will notify the parent/guardian of its final decision within 30 calendar days from the date the request was received.
- Future school-year requests: For an interdistrict transfer request received by the district more than 15 days before the commencement of instruction in the school year for which the interdistrict transfer is sought, the district will notify the parent/guardian of its final decision as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the commencement of instruction in the school year for which transfer is sought.
Permits may be revoked or rescinded for falsification of information on the permit application/questionnaire, any change to the criteria required for the permit issued, and/or failure to maintain satisfactory citizenship, attendance and scholarship.
Interdistrict permits expire when the student transitions to a new school and/or district.
Please note: Interdistrict permit requests may only be filed by the student’s educational right’s holder.