English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC)
Purpose and Goals of ELAC
The English Learner Advisory Committee addresses issues specifically related to English Learners, and advises the principal, the school staff and the SSC on programs and services for English Learners to assure the needs of EL students are being met. Each school with 21 or more English Learners is required to have an ELAC. The percentage of EL parents on the committee must match the percentage of EL students at the school. Parents of non-EL students may also be on this committee. The ELAC serves in an advisory capacity. PUSD requires one meeting per month during the school-year.
The ELAC must advise on at least the following:
- Single Plan for Student Achievement as it pertains to English Learners, including budget
- Development of the school’s needs assessment
- Parent Survey
- The importance of regular school attendance
- School’s annual language census
- Overview of the criteria and procedures for Reclassification of English Learners
Schedule of Meetings
All meetings are held 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. online.