Welcome to Transitional Kindergarten - Now Enrolling for 2022-2023
Enroll now at our Aeries Online Registration page, (opens in a new window). to attend your neighborhood school or submit a School Choice Application, (opens in a new window), for any PUSD school that interests you.
Pasadena Unified School District has expanded Transitional Kindergarten!
Welcome To Transitional Kindergarten
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program. TK provides an early childhood education program that builds a bridge between preschool years and traditional Kindergarten.
ELIGIBILITY: Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is designed for students who turn 5 years old between September 2 and February 2 for the 2022-23 school year. TK is ideal for students who may benefit from an enriched foundational early childhood education program to prepare them for success in traditional Kindergarten. Pursuant to law, EC 48000(c)
SCHOOL SITES (click on the address to see its location in Google Maps):
- Don Benito:
3700 Denair St, Pasadena, CA 91107
- Field Elementary: (Mandarin Immersion)
3600 E Sierra Madre Blvd Pasadena, CA 91107
- Jackson Elementary: (General English Program)
593 W Woodbury Rd Altadena, CA 91001
- Jefferson Elementary Campus: (Spanish Immersion)
391 N Sierra Bonita Ave, Pasadena, CA 91106
- Longfellow Elementary:
1065 E Washington Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91104
- Madison Elementary:
515 Ashtabula St, Pasadena, CA 91104
- McKinley School:
325 S Oak Knoll Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101
- Norma Coombs Elementary:
2600 Paloma St, Pasadena, CA 91107
- Washington Elementary:
1520 N Raymond Ave, Pasadena, CA 91103
- Webster Elementary:
2101 E Washington Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91104
- Willard Elementary:
301 Madre St, Pasadena, CA 91107
Transitional Kindergarten means the student will be in a Kindergarten program for two years. Students may attend their assigned school by residence, or click here to submit your online lottery application (opens in a new window) for another school or a Dual Language Immersion Program. Students attend transitional kindergarten for one year; after that, they go to kindergarten.
For kindergarten the following year, promoting transitional kindergarten students may:
(1) opt to continue in the same school/program*
(2) register to attend kindergarten at their assigned school of residence, or
(3) apply via lottery during Open Enrollment for another PUSD campus or program.
*Jefferson Children's Center does not offer kindergarten. Students in Spanish immersion transitional kindergarten at Jefferson Children's Center who wish to continue in Spanish immersion for kindergarten must submit a lottery application during Open Enrollment for any of the three Spanish immersion elementary schools (Jackson, Longfellow, and San Rafael Elementaries). Students transitioning directly from preschool to kindergarten must apply to attend a kindergarten school or program if that school/program is not the student's school of residence.
The Benefits of Transitional Kindergarten
- Children are better prepared to succeed.
- Families have an additional option to ensure their children enter kindergarten with the maturity, confidence and skills they need to excel.
- Schools benefit because children will be better prepared to succeed academically and less likely to be placed in special education or held back in later grades.
As a Parent, What Do I Need to Know?
- Transitional Kindergarten is taught by credentialed teachers from the K-12 system, which now includes Transitional Kindergarten.
- Transitional Kindergarten is part of the public school system and free for families.
- ENROLLMENT: To register for Transitional Kindergarten, go to your school of residence and let the office know that you would like to register for Transitional Kindergarten. To find your school of residence, use our School Locator. Visit Open Enrollment for more details.
Is there an after school program for Transitional Kindergarten?
PasadenaLEARNs serves students in grades K-8. Transitional Kindergarten students may participate in the program if space is available. Contact the LEARNs Site Coordinator at your child's school for more information. Click here to find out more about LEARNs.
- Don Benito: