Transitional Kindergarten FAQs

  • Who can enroll in Transitional Kindergarten (TK)?
    Transitional Kindergarten is available to those children who turn 5 between September 2 and February 2 of the 2022-23 school year. For the 2023-2024 school year, children who turn 5 between September 2 and April 2 of the 2023-24 school year are eligible for TK.

    What distinguishes Transitional Kindergarten from Kindergarten?
    Transitional Kindergarten bridges the path between preschool and kindergarten and gives children an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment tailored to meet their academic and social needs. TK provides the gift of time that will help students build a strong foundation for success in elementary school.

    After Transitional Kindergarten, do students advance to Kindergarten or First Grade?
    Transitional Kindergarten means the student will be in a kindergarten program for two years. After transitional kindergarten, students continue on to kindergarten. 

    How long is the class day for Transitional Kindergarten? 
    Transitional Kindergarten, like kindergarten, is a full school day.

    Is transportation provided for Transitional Kindergarten?

    Are there afterschool options for Transitional Kindergarten children?
    Pasadena LEARNs provides afterschool programming for PUSD students in all grades, including Transitional Kindergarten. Registration occurs at the school site.

    How do families register for Transitional Kindergarten?
    Families are invited to register children at their neighborhood school. To confirm the neighborhood school, use the School Locator. Students may also participate in Open Enrollment to request another school or program.

    What documents are needed to register in Pasadena Unified School District?
    To register a child for the first time, the following documents need to be presented at the school office:

    • Child’s birth certificate
    • Proof of current immunizations
    • Proof of rent/ownership within PUSD boundaries (deed of trust, property tax bill, lease agreement, rental payment receipt) in the parent/guardian name
    • Current utility bill in the parent/guardian name (the following are accepted: gas, electric or water)

    How are TK programs different than preschool or other child development programs offered by Local Education Agencies (LEAs) for three and four year old children?
    TK programs, as defined in statute, are not preschool classrooms or child development programs. They are part of the TK-12 public school system and are the first year of a two-year kindergarten program, which uses a Transitional Kindergarten curriculum developed by PUSD in accordance with the Preschool Foundations, California Standards and Assessments. Pursuant to EC 48000(f), TK programs are intended to be aligned to the California Preschool Learning Foundations developed by the CDE. TK programs are required to be taught by a teacher who meets credentialing requirements.

    Preschool or other child development programs, offered by LEAs to prepare three and four-year-old children for school, are not required to be taught by persons meeting teacher credential requirements. Instead, they must meet separate child development permit requirements. LEAs should ensure that parents understand the difference between various locally implemented preschool programs intended to support kindergarten readiness and the transition to kindergarten from the TK program delineated in statute.

    If you are interested in PUSD Early Education/Pre-Kindergarten (PreK) programs, please call (626) 396-5762.