Welcome to Transitional Kindergarten - Now Enrolling for 2022-2023
Pasadena Unified School District has expanded Transitional Kindergarten!
Welcome To Transitional Kindergarten
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program. TK provides an early childhood education program that builds a bridge between preschool years and traditional Kindergarten.
ELIGIBILITY: Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is designed for students who turn 5 years old between September 2 and February 2 for the 2022-23 school year or between September 2 and April 2 for the 2023-24 school year. TK is ideal for students who may benefit from an enriched foundational early childhood education program to prepare them for success in traditional Kindergarten. Pursuant to law, EC 48000(c)
SCHOOL SITES (click on the address to see its location in Google Maps):
- Don Benito:
3700 Denair St, Pasadena, CA 91107
- Field Elementary: (Mandarin Immersion)
3600 E Sierra Madre Blvd Pasadena, CA 91107
- Jackson Elementary: (General English Program)
593 W Woodbury Rd Altadena, CA 91001
- Jefferson Elementary Campus: (Spanish Immersion for 2022-2023 only)
391 N Sierra Bonita Ave, Pasadena, CA 91106
- Hamilton Elementary: (TK will be added 2023-2024)
2089 Rose Villa St, Pasadena, CA 91107
- Longfellow Elementary:(General English Program for 2022-2023; Spanish Immersion TK will be added 2023-2024) (assigned TK location for students who live in Altadena Arts Magnet's attendance zone):
1065 E Washington Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91104
- Madison Elementary:
515 Ashtabula St, Pasadena, CA 91104
- McKinley School:
325 S Oak Knoll Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101
- Norma Coombs Elementary:
2600 Paloma St, Pasadena, CA 91107
- Washington Elementary:
1520 N Raymond Ave, Pasadena, CA 91103
- Webster Elementary: (Armenian Program and General English Program)
2101 E Washington Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91104
- Willard Elementary (assigned TK location for students who live in Sierra Madre Elementary's attendance zone):
301 Madre St, Pasadena, CA 91107
At this time, Altadena Elementary, Hamilton Elementary, San Rafael, and Sierra Madre do not have TK programs. Families who live nearest these schools may contact the Office of Enrollment to request a nearby TK program.
TK Locations for the 2023-2024 School Year
TK programs have limited class sizes. If a space is not available at a student's neighborhood school, families may contact the Office of Enrollment to request a nearby TK program.
Transitional Kindergarten means the student will be in a Kindergarten program for two years. Students may attend their assigned school or participate in Open Enrollment to request another school or a Dual Language Immersion Program. Students attend transitional kindergarten for one year; after that, they go to kindergarten.
For kindergarten the following year, promoting transitional kindergarten students may:
(1) opt to continue in the same school/program*
(2) register to attend kindergarten at their assigned neighborhood school, or
(3) apply via lottery during Open Enrollment for another PUSD campus or program.
*Jefferson Children's Center does not offer kindergarten through 5th-grade elementary programs. Students in Spanish immersion transitional kindergarten at Jefferson Children's Center who wish to continue in Spanish immersion for kindergarten must submit a lottery application during Open Enrollment for any of the three Spanish immersion elementary schools (Jackson, Longfellow, and San Rafael Elementaries).
Students transitioning from preschool to kindergarten must apply to attend a kindergarten school or program if that school/program is not the student's neighborhood school.
The Benefits of Transitional Kindergarten
- Children are better prepared to succeed.
- Families have an additional option to ensure their children enter kindergarten with the maturity, confidence and skills they need to excel.
- Schools benefit because children will be better prepared to succeed academically and less likely to be placed in special education or held back in later grades.
As a Parent, What Do I Need to Know?
- Transitional Kindergarten is taught by credentialed teachers from the K-12 system, which now includes Transitional Kindergarten.
- Transitional Kindergarten is part of the public school system and free for families.
- ENROLLMENT: Contact the Office of Enrollment for TK locations with available spaces for the 2022-23 school year, or visit the Open Enrollment page for information on enrollment for the 2023-24 school year.
Is there an after-school program for Transitional Kindergarten?
PasadenaLEARNs serves students in grades K-8. Transitional Kindergarten students may participate in the program if space is available. Contact the LEARNs Site Coordinator at your child's school for more information. Click here to find out more about LEARNs.
- Don Benito:
TK Program QuestionsLindsay Lewis
626.396.5762 Ext. 10079
email@example.comDepartment Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PUSD also offers preschool programs, including dual language immersion in Spanish and Mandarin! Learn moreTK EnrollmentOffice of Enrollment:
District Registrar - Enrollment & Permits
626-396-3639 ext. 88343
Խոսում է հայերեն
Program Assistant- General Questions
626-396-3639 ext. 88342
Se habla español