This week we celebrate the important work that our school psychologists do. School psychologists are the experts in: consultation, by helping others understand child development and how it affects learning and behavior; intervention, by promoting healthy learning behaviors through the development of positive behavioral support plans and the use of scientific, research-based instruction; prevention, by helping to foster tolerance, understanding and appreciation of diversity in the school community; education, by teaching classroom management techniques; research and planning, by evaluating the effectiveness of academic programs, behavior management systems, and other services; assessment, by using a variety of techniques at an individual, group, and systems level to evaluate academic skills, learning aptitudes, and eligibility for special education services; and in mental health, by working with children and families to provide integrated community services focusing on psychosocial wellness and mental health.
WELCOME TO PUSD SPECIAL EDUCATION/SELPA:
The Pasadena Unified School District's Special Education Division is committed to the educational success of students who have disabilities. Our department provides services for students with disabilities from our Early Start (infant) through age 22 years in our Adult Transition and Workability programs.
The Special Education Division is committed to students and supporting them throughout the educational journey by establishing equitable programs and inclusive environments that ensure active participation in the learning process and prepares every individual for a successful and independent future after graduation.
We provide a caring, engaging, challenging educational experience for every student, every day in partnership with our families and communities.
Special Education Division Goals
- Build strong schools and parent relationships.
- Strengthen the IEP Process
- Improve learning and student outcomes
- Strengthen the partnerships with general education educators
A public hearing for the 2022-23 Annual Budget & Service Plan will be held at the May 26 meeting.
It will be listed as an "upcoming" public hearing at our next board meeting on April 28th.
Links to both documents are listed below:
- Performance Indicator Review 2018-19
- 19-20 SELPA Annual Budget and Service Plan
- 19-20 SPED contact list (Contact list for Parents)
- Prepare your Child with Special Needs for School Emergencies
- 20-21 Annual Service Plan-ALL SECTIONS
- Pasadena Unified SELPA 19.20 SEP Targeted 1
- Special Education SEP Plan
- APPROVED Local Plan -All Parts
- 22-23 SY SPED Org Chart
- Transportation Contact Numbers
This month we bring awareness to:
- WordPress Accessibility Day – November 2-3
- International Stress Awareness Week – November 7-11
- Global Usability Day – November 10
- World Diabetes Day – November 14
- World COPD Day – November 17
- Epilepsy Awareness Month – November
- Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month – November
You are your child’s primary advocate. You are an essential member of the educational team that designs the school program that meets your child’s needs. Your firsthand, round-the-clock knowledge of your child is important information. We encourage you to ask questions and seek the information you need to make wise decisions about your child’s future.